HOT INDEPENDENT ARTISTS OF THE WEEK
P-Lo and E-40 link up for new west coast banger ‘Again.’
Muni Long and Ann Marie’s hot collab resulted in the dope track ‘No R&B.’
John Givez keeps it chill and sexy with ‘No Ceilings.’
TOP STORIES OF THE DAY
Kevin de Leon and Gil Cedillo Should Step Down (Op-Ed)
This racist rhetoric puts a further divide on our communities and could potentially set back any progress that has been made for unity and peace. By: Treneice Helen
Lizzo Changes Lyrics To New Single “Grrrls” Because of Slur
The Grammy award-winning artist Lizzo released “GRRRLS”, the second single of her much anticipated sophomore album Special this past Friday, and it took all of two days before the “Juice” rapper was trending on social media with calls to action to take out a word from her song because of…
An Open Letter To Will Smith, From One of Your Biggest Fans
By: Denee Anaya OMG, Big Willy, birth name-Willard Carroll Smith, stage name Will Smith, of all the times for you to get into your feelings, on the night that you have proclaimed to be the moment that you been waiting for a long time, on the night that will sum…
What’s in the News?
- Kevin de Leon and Gil Cedillo Should Step Down (Op-Ed)by Staff WriterThis racist rhetoric puts a further divide on our communities and could potentially set back any progress that has been made for unity and peace. By: Treneice Helen
- FedEx Kicks Off Black History Month With HBCU Announcementby Angelica CheyenneFedEx kicks off the first day of Black History Month correctly, announcing today (Feb.1) that they are launching a student leadership ambassador program exclusively for HBCU students.
- A HIV Vaccine With Moderna’s mRNA Technology Is In Initial Test Phaseby Angelica CheyenneModerna is adding potentially finding a solution to HIV to their to-do list after successfully producing a coronavirus vaccine with an innovative technique.
- #BoycottStarbucks, A Response To Starbucks Revoking Their Vax Policyby Angelica CheyenneSome Starbucks drinkers aren’t thrilled that the brand is reneging on requiring their U.S. employees to get vaccinated against COVID-19. The franchised coffee corporation reversing their vaccination policy for employees was in response to the U.S. Supreme Court’s rejective ruling last week, according to ABC 7.
- Dylan Gonzalez Suffers From PTSD After Allegedly Being Raped by Trey Songzby Angelica CheyenneR&B singer Trey Songz alleged sexual assault victim Dylan Gonzalez maintains her story, and continues to be an ally to others who are sexual assault survivors.
- Remember Clay Aiken from ‘American Idol’? He’s Running For Congress Againby Angelica CheyenneEver wondered what happened to Clay Aiken from season two of the reality singing competition American Idol? Well, if you ever have at one point then you’ll probably be shocked to learn that he is now involved in politics.
New Music Generation
- EXCLUSIVE: Kota the Friend Gets Real About His Artistry and Allegationsby Angelica CheyenneHip Hop artist Kota the Friend has a distinctive creativity that is eminent in every song that he produces. Throughout his discography, Kota the Friend has designed dope records that have exhibited his transparent and self-reflective nature.
- Love ‘Hrs and Hrs’ by Muni Long? Then Check Out These 5 Songs by Herby Angelica CheyenneIn life there will be certain songs that will remain on constant repeat in your mind, taking up space within your head rent free. Hrs and Hrs by Muni Long are one of those songs.
- From Madonna to Saucy Santana—The Legacy of ‘Material Girl’by Angelica CheyenneLately almost every other viral video on social media has included Saucy Santana’s snappy song Material Girl as the background music for short-video visuals. Throughout 2021 Santana’s bass-filled single was the theme song, and still remains to be in 2022, for any high-maintenance girl (or boy) that enjoys the luxurious lifestyle.
- We Need The Dope New Singles That Baby Tate is Teasing on TikTokby Angelica Cheyenne“I’m a petty a** b***h don’t try me,” are eight words that Baby Tate, formerly known as Yung Baby Tate, is definitely living by. The hip hop artist is not the one to be played with, and will clapback at anyone who tries to downplay her or her long-standing music career.
- River Tiber Finally Drops A New R&B Track, and it’s Gloriousby Angelica CheyenneA new serenade from the tuneful Canadian singer River Tiber is finally here. His newest single Sent from Above is enrapturing, putting anyone who listens at-risk of spiraling down a tunnel of emotions that revolve around the idea of love. Finding it, appreciating it, admiring it—that sorta thing.
- 4Hunnid’s Leading Lady Day Sulan is a Hip Hop Star in the Makingby Angelica CheyenneThe first lady of YG’s rap label 4Hunnid Day Sulan is slowly blowing up on the hip hop scene, gaining more fans with each new rap single and sexy twerk-filled performance. Transitioning from the exotic dance world into the music one, Day Sulan holds her own as a rapper, strongly standing out among other upcoming women hip hop stars.
Act Up Your Brand With ACHDA
- Nikosi Is An Afrocentric Artist That Creates Socially Conscious Musicby Angelica CheyenneNikosi is an afrocentric music artist that intersects the African-diasporic culture with hip hop to create powerful conscious records. With his roots in multiple places throughout the world, Nikosi derives much of his musical influences from African, Jamaican and American heritage.
- Madi Rindge May Look Indie Rock, But She Sings Alternative R&Bby Angelica CheyenneAt an initial glance, Madi Rindge looks like your typical LA woman from a beach city who would probably be singing indie rock opposed to R&B. But as the old adage goes, “looks can be deceiving,” especially in Rindge’s case. Rindge is a downright alt R&B singer, and that’s the type of music she produces.
- EXCLUSIVE: KYO! Is The Music Producer Behind Your Fave Artist’s Musicby Angelica CheyenneCarrying on that legacy in an innovative way is KYO!, the newest up and coming music producer for our generation. The young music producer has been making beats for many years, his talents granting him the opportunity to work with many A-List artists. KYO!’s journey towards music began early, his focus initially on becoming an actual music artist—not the people producing their music.
- Neosoul NURD Is The Soul Singer That Should Be On Your Playlistby Angelica CheyennePromising community music stars aren’t to be overlooked or underplayed, especially when they possess the talent that Neosoul NURD does. Hailing from Leimert Park, Los Angeles, Neosoul NURD is a sweet-sounding Neo-soul songstress that has been producing enchanting music for the last few years.
- WOODSPOON: A Brazilian Food Gem In DTLA’s Fashion Districtby Angelica CheyenneSome of the best things are hidden within the borders of DTLA’s Fashion District, adding another layer of appeal to the sub-neighborhood of LA. Tucked away inside the hub of the Fashion District is WOODSPOON, one of DTLA’s hidden gems and best Brazilian eateries.
- Spencer. Is Holding It Down For Alt R&B: A Music Reviewby Angelica CheyenneSince 2016 Spencer. has been making quality music, beginning with his lyric-free 2016 EP STARCASTER, bringing new energy with each music release. Showing off his growth from 2016 with his 2018 EP VISCERAL LOVE, Spencer. breaks out of the producer-only role and delivers an indie R&B masterpiece.
Fashion Beauty & Entertainment
- Lizzo Changes Lyrics To New Single “Grrrls” Because of Slurby Staff WriterThe Grammy award-winning artist Lizzo released “GRRRLS”, the second single of her much anticipated sophomore album Special this past Friday, and it took all of two days before the “Juice” rapper was trending on social media with calls to action to take out a word from her song because of it’s offense to the disable community. By: Sherean Jones
- An Open Letter To Will Smith, From One of Your Biggest Fansby Staff WriterBy: Denee Anaya OMG, Big Willy, birth name-Willard Carroll Smith, stage name Will Smith, of all the times for you to get into your feelings, on the night that you have proclaimed to be the moment that you been waiting for a long time, on the night that will sum up the journey of your 36 years in entertainment, on the night that you are about to receive this year’s 2022 Academy Award (Oscar) for Best Actor.
- Ye Gives Jack Harlow’s “Nail Tech” a Stamp of Approval, Harlow Respondsby Angelica CheyenneGetting dubbed as a “Top 5” rapper by Ye, one of the biggest rappers of our time, is not only a compliment but also a possible prediction for Harlow’s legacy.
- Coachella Will Sell Lifetime Concert Passes To NFT Ownersby Angelica CheyenneBeginning Friday (Feb.4) Coachella is going to be selling lifetime passes to their music festivals that will allow individuals access to “Coachella-produced virtual experiences forever,” according to the Verge. Of course those who purchase a lifetime pass will get passes to the actual Coachella festival each year as well.
- MGK’s Cover of Frank Ocean’s ‘Swim Good’ Is Getting Flak, But It’s Not Badby Angelica CheyenneSince Machine Gun Kelly has hopped out of the hip hop game into the punk rock genre he has been the center of much derision. His relationship with Megan Fox has increased these feelings of distaste from the public, however MGK’s recent cover of Frank Ocean’s song Swim Good is magnifying them.
- ‘Hype House’ Star Jack Wright Stands By His #HimToo Story Amid Push Backby Angelica CheyennePopular TikToker and Hype House reality star Jack Wright has made some serious accusations against fellow TikTok superstar slash ex-friend and TikTok collaborator Sienna Mae Gomez. Telling his #HimToo story in a YouTube video posted on Jan. 20, Wright alleges that he was a victim of sexual assault by Sienna Mae.
Fashion & Swimsuit Feature
- Ye Will Have Homeless Models In Next Yeezy Fashion Showby Angelica CheyenneYe has never been short of innovative ideas. The 44-year-old hip hop superstar turned fashion designer has always prided himself on being a freethinker and a visionary creator. Soon to come from the audacious Ye is a Yeezy fashion show that features homeless people.
- Zoom Has Redefined the Business Fashion Dress Code, Possibly For Goodby Angelica CheyenneNotwithstanding everything that kept me up at night during the shutdown, like the status of my career, I found comfort in one silver lining that glimmered during a difficult point in time. No more formal business work attire, heck no more having to get dressed from the waist down if I didn’t feel like it because team meetings would now be on Zoom!
- Ladies, It’s Time to Stop Hiding Your “Tree of Life” Stretch Marksby Angelica CheyenneSupermodel Ashley Graham once again shows us what it means to have body self-acceptance. The relatable plus-size beauty never shies away from putting her “flaws” on full display, teaching others that there is nothing wrong with being perfectly imperfect.
- Japanese Streetwear is Still Booming in the Post-Harajuku Eraby Angelica CheyenneThere are a plethora of Japanese brands that are dedicated to providing you the ultimate outfits that are streetwear chic. Some Japanese brands are dedicated to serving you J hip hop and some are designed to accentuate your otaku aesthetic
- The 5 Times Zendaya Earned Her CFDA Fashion Icon Awardby Staff WriterThe “Euphoria” and “Malcolm & Marie” star is set to be the youngest to receive The CFDA Fashion Icon Award.
- Everything You Need to Know About Beyoncé’s Partnership With Pelotonby Angelica CheyenneCollaborating with the fitness brand Peloton, creators of the high-tech Peloton treadmills, Mrs. Knowles-Carter will be teaming her Adidas x Ivy Park label with the company to release a capsule collection. This is the first Peloton x Ivy Park collection, and consists of footwear and apparel.
Beauty & Hair Feature
- Should Highlighter Be Retired Now That Natural 90’s Makeup Is Back?by Angelica CheyenneDial back the time to circa 2015, you couldn’t scroll through Instagram without seeing a beauty influencer creating what has now been dubbed the “IG Baddie” makeup look. A few years ago, between 2015-2018, your makeup wasn’t considered poppin’ unless it was sharply contoured and accentuated with an exaggerated highlight technique.
- These Three Fictional Television Characters Will Always Be #HairGoalsby Angelica CheyenneHair inspiration can be found anywhere, especially on television. Tuning into your favorite television series can give you ideas for new fashion looks and hairdo’s, influencing your overall flair. Among the countless fictional on-camera characters, there are only a few that have earned the #hairgoals label.
- ‘Bridgerton’ Star Phoebe Dynevor Is The Latest Face For Charlotte Tilburyby Angelica CheyenneActress Phoebe Dynevor lands a beauty campaign with the legendary makeup artist and beauty mogul Charlotte Tilbury for Tilbury’s new Beautiful Skin Foundation. Jumping into a new bag in the new year, Dynevor is exercising new business opportunities that extend beyond being on-screen.
- Thanks Saweetie and Demi Lovato for Bringing Back Buzz Cuts For 2022by Angelica CheyenneDespite India.Arie trying to teach us all that we are not our hair, sometimes we still identify ourselves with our hair until we see others that don’t. Just as this year closes, new versions of Saweetie and Demi Lovato are popping—both now on team no hair don’t care.
- Reese Witherspoon’s Daughter Ava Phillipe Lands Pat McGrath Campaignby Angelica CheyenneReese Witherspoon’s daughter Ava Phillipe is booked and busy! Right after being tagged to star in Beyoncé’s Christmas inspired IVY Park X adidas collection “Halls of Ivy”, Phillipe secured her first beauty campaign with makeup mogul Pat McGrath.
- Korean Perms Will Be The New Wave in 2022by Staff WriterWe are a long ways from the Just For Me $8 no-lye perm. 2022 is amongst us, and it’s looking like the Korean perm is set to be around the same price as a monthly payment of a 2023 Toyota Camry (with a good credit of course).
Film & Television
- Why Fans Think “Euphoria’s” Angus Cloud and Maude Apatow are a Thingby Angelica CheyenneSince the beginning of season 2 of Euphoria fans of the show have been shipping Fezco (Angus Cloud) and Lexi (Maude Apatow). Cloud and Apatow’s chemistry is so palpable on-camera that it has people speculating about if Euphoria’s “Fexi” are actually a thing outside of the show. As of lately, there have been some signs that are leading fans to believe that Cloud and Apatow may possibly be dating in real life.
- Classic 2000’s Movies That Need A Sequel With The Original Cast Lineupby Angelica CheyenneMovies that are so good that you want and need a part two are films that are typically dubbed as iconic. While many can appreciate a good sequel, a continuation that contains all of the original cast as in the debut film always reigns supreme over a sequel that doesn’t.
- Drake Should Make An Appearance In The Upcoming ‘Degrassi’ Rebootby Angelica CheyenneBefore there was Euphoria, there was Degrassi. The controversial and shock-worthy subject matter that was presented by the franchise has imprinted on an entire generation, gaining legendary status because of the innumerable OMG moments throughout the series.
- Paris Jackson Wants To Join The MCU as A ‘Superhero or Supervillain’by Angelica CheyenneParis Jackson could be coming to the big screen soon in a super way, well at least that’s on Jackson’s bucket list. Recently the singer and actress revealed that she wants to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe, either as a superhero or supervillain
- ‘Soul Food’ is a Classic Movie, But We Got Some Things Wrong About Teriby Staff WriterWith the holiday season underway an overload of holiday and/or family movies are gonna flood our screens and remind us of the importance of family, and the greater reminder of why we only see them once a year in the first place. Nothing jogs this feeling more than when I re-watched the black cinematic classic, Soul Food (not the BET version), something about watching it as a 30 year old single woman hits different.
- Issa Rae Lands The Role of Spider-Woman in New ‘Spider-Man’ Filmby Angelica CheyenneCome 2022 Rae will be expanding her resume, and fiIm credits, portraying the one-and-only Spider-Woman in the forthcoming animated “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” sequel
Fun & Food
- McDonald’s Sprite Isn’t Spicy For These Reasonsby Angelica CheyenneDrinking a Sprite from McDonald’s is like swallowing a lightning bolt dipped in high fructose corn syrup. Despite it burning when going down, the flavor of the McDonald’s Sprite is still delicious and compliments practically any entrée on their menu—hence why it’s their most popular drink.
- Oreos: You Can Dip Them, Lick Them and Air Fry Themby Angelica CheyenneThere is practically nothing that you could do to Oreos to make them less appetizing—unless you were bent on doing so—however there are ways to enhance their deliciousness. According to the latest TikTok trend, if you air fry your Oreos you’ll take your cookie eating experience up a notch.
- Subway Has Revamped Their Menu—Relaunches Roast Beefby Angelica CheyenneSubway has a new revamped sub-sandwich menu that will fulfill all the foodie desires of the health conscious, and those that are just seeking flavorful subs. Over the years Subway has altered their menu, replacing and removing items while also maintaining their staple sandwiches.
- Taco Bell Isn’t Just Adding Wings To Their Menu This Yearby Angelica CheyenneTaco Bell and wings are two things that you probably thought would’ve never been mentioned in the same sentence. But of course in this twilight zone we call the 21st century ‘20’s time period, anything is possible.
- KFC and Chipotle Add New Tasty Meatless Goodies To Their Menusby Angelica CheyenneJoining the pack is KFC and Chipotle, each fast food restaurant now offering vegan meat options for ready consumers. The fried chicken and Latin food brand are kicking off 2022 right, advancing their menu to encompass vegan friendly choices.
- Omicron Surge Sparks Indoor Restaurant Dining Concerns: Is it Safe?by Staff WriterThe omicron variant of COVID-19 is causing cases to rise rapidly daily, making eating out to be a serious health risk.
- A Ballerina Tells How Ye Stopped a #MeToo Incident at His Afterpartyby Angelica CheyenneThanks to Ye’s superpower of outspokenness, he was able to defend Australian dancer Maria Rekowski when she most needed it. Recently Rekowski posted a story-time on TikTok, outlining the heroic act performed by Ye that enables her to always have a “soft spot for him.”
- Omarion Starts The #OmarionChallenge By Just Being Himby Angelica CheyenneOmarion has been gracing fans with his performance abilities since he broke out onto the scene as the leader of R&B group B2K in the early 2000’s. For almost 20 years Omarion has been causing his women fans to swoon over him, and male fans to emulate him each timeContinue reading “Omarion Starts The #OmarionChallenge By Just Being Him”
- Channing Tatum Produces A ‘Magic Mike’ Dance Reality Show For HBO Maxby Angelica CheyenneSince it’s initial release, “Magic Mike” has become a cult classic film, spinning off into the equally successful 2015 sequel Magic Mike XXL and the “Magic Mike Live” tour. The $167M “Magic Mike” franchise is now the inspiration for a new dance competition that will be coming to HBO Max.
- City Girl’s Unreleased Song ‘Twerkulator’ Inspires New TikTok Dance Challengeby Angelica CheyenneCity Girls unreleased song “Twerkulator” inspires a new dance challenge on TikTok. The twerk-inducing single was leaked last summer, however it’s doubling back as the new twerk anthem for the summer of 2021.
- Celebrity Dance Choreographer Sean Bankhead “Up” Dance Tutorial Goes Viralby Angelica CheyenneBankhead’s “Up” tutorial is now just as popular as the #UpChallenge! People all over Instagram and TikTok are posting themselves doing the “Up” choreography to the sound of Bankhead’s vocals, hitting each count the way Bankhead directed in the original video.
- Tony Award Winning Choreographer and ‘Chicago’ Star Ann Reinking Passes Awayby Angelica CheyenneMulti-talented entertainer Ann Reinking passes away at 71. Breaking into Broadway at just 19, Reinking charted a legacy that upcoming dancers study today. Actor, dancer and choreographer Ann Reinking was also a protégé of trailblazing choreographer and dancer Bob Fosse.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE!
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.